Anyone can read e-books on a smartphone, tablet, or desktop computer.
The thing about e-book files, though, is that they can’t just be opened; they need to be opened with reading software or a reading device. So if you try to open an ePub or mobi file on your computer or phone without the right software installed, that won’t work.
Fortunately, with a few simple steps (and maybe a free software download), you’ll be reading any DRM-free e-book in minutes.
Simple side-loading instructions for iTunes (ePub file)
- From within iTunes, click on the Books tab.
- Select File –> Add to Library, then select your file and click Open.
- The book should then display in the Books tab.
- You will need to sync your iPhone/iPod/iPad to copy the book onto it.
- Open iBooks on your device; you can now read the book from your library.
Install Adobe Digital Editions (ePub file)
- Download and install ADE — it’s free and can be found here;
- Double-click on any ePub file to open it on your computer.
Simple side-loading instructions for Kindle (mobi file)
- Find your KINDLE mail address:
- On the Amazon website, go to Fire & Kindle > Manage Your Content and Devices > Settings;
- Scroll down to Personal Document Settings;
- Find the list of Send-to-Kindle E-mail Settings (you should see all your Kindle devices, including phones and tablets with Kindle apps); and
- Make a note of the e-mail address for the device to which you wish to load the file.
- Add your REGULAR e-mail address to your list of approved senders:
- On the same page as above, scroll down to find the Approved Personal Document E-mail List;
- If the e-mail address you usually use to send e-mails is already on this list, you’ve done this before and can skip to step 3;
- If not, add it by clicking “Add a new approved e-mail address”.
- NOTE: if the e-mail address you’re sending the file from is not on this list, your Kindle device will reject it.
- Send the file:
- Open a new email from the REGULAR e-mail address you registered as an approved sender in step 2;
- In the “To” field, type the KINDLE mail address you identified in step 1;
- Attach the file — you do not need a subject or any text in the email body, just the attachment;
- Hit send.
- Be patient. It takes a few minutes, but the file should show up in your list of books.
Install Kindle Reader for your computer (mobi file)